It’s week three of the Indiana General Assembly. With week three comes a flurry of committee meetings, bills moving in committees and the floor, and more! Here are some upcoming deadlines to keep in mind as the session moves forward.
- Monday, February 5 – Last day for 3rd reading of House bills in House
- Tuesday, February 6 – Last day for 3rd reading of Senate bills in Senate
If you want to see our earlier Advocacy updates, please click here!
As a reminder, this year’s Call to Action continues the conversation with talent attraction and retention, focusing mainly on housing development, availability and affordability of childcare and eldercare, incumbent worker training options, employability of people with disabilities, and eliminating worker shortages.
This week, the Advocacy Leadership team met and discussed several bills circulating in the General Assembly.
Here is the current list of bills that 1si is taking a position on:
SB-2 – Child Care: Covers annual fund reporting, voucher program(s), third-party evaluations, compensation study, child care providers and regulations, and shared state resources regarding background checks. 1si SUPPORTS this bill, with the caveat that any deregulation must result in continued child safety and care quality. The Advocacy Leadership team is working on a letter of support with language in it regarding the deregulation portion of the bill and submitting some additional ideas on credentials.
- This bill now sits with the Appropriations Committee after being with the Health and Provider Services Committee.
HB-1165 – Regulatory Sandbox Program and Right to Start Act: Establishes a regulatory sandbox program. 1si SUPPORTS this bill.
- This bill has been referred to the Government and Regulatory Reform Committee, scheduled to be heard on 1/23/2024.
Bills 1si is Monitoring:
- HB-1199 – Repeal of Economic Enhancement District Law
- Referred to Ways and Means Committee, scheduled to be heard on 1/24/2024.
- SB-155 – Compensation for Business Losses
- This bill has been reassigned to the Tax and Fiscal Policy Committee after being with the Local Government Committee.
- SB-295 – Indiana Economic Development Corporation
- Referred to Commerce and Technology Committee
- HB-1368 – Riverfront Economic Development Tax Area
- Referred to Local Government Committee
Current List of Bills 1si Supports or Opposes:
- SB-61 & HB-1345 – Tourism Improvement District
- SB-61 has been referred to the Tax and Fiscal Policy Committee
- HB-1345 has been referred to the Ways and Means Committee
- HB-1157 – Non-Disclosure Agreements in Economic Development
- No major updates