The Indiana General Assembly is ramping up with exciting action to come! The deadlines for filing bills in both the House and Senate passed last week, so we now can review each bill.
January 12 was the deadline for filing House bills and January 13 was the deadline for filing Senate bills. There were roughly 400 bills submitted on both sides. Bills will be on the state website by Wednesday.
Other key dates during session include:
- February 27 – last day for 3rd reading of House bills in House
- February 28 – last day for 3rd reading of Senate bills in Senate
- April 17 – last day for 3rd reading of Senate bills in House
- April 18 – last day for 3rd reading of House bills in Senate
- April 19-27 – Conference Committees
- April 27 – Anticipated Final Day of Session
- April 29 – Statutory Sine Die
Need a refresher on the legislative process? Here are a few resources:
- Many of you may remember School House Rock’s “I’m Just A Bill” cartoon from Saturday mornings. Watch again, as it is still accurate.
- The Indiana Chamber of Commerce created a better graphic (without the catchy tune) on Indiana’s legislative process which can be found in the “How a Bill Becomes a Law.”
- To follow bills as they move throughout both houses and to find your local legislator, please visit the Indiana General Assembly website.
And, finally, look to 1si to deliver weekly updates on our Advocacy positions and activities. As the session moves forward, the 1si Advocacy Leadership Team will review those bills that are being heard and weigh in with positions that are consistent with the 1si’s 2023 Advocacy Agenda.
We will keep you updated on our actions related to the 2023 Indiana Legislative Session, but for more information on our Advocacy Agenda, please visit www.1si.org/advocacy.